Pages

10/14/2020

On Leaving the Church

 A friend of mine recently posted a blog post of why she left the church and her Christian faith. She began by saying that when she decided to leave the church she was met with similar platitudes from those trying to convince her to stay: 

  • Don't let some bad apples (meaning bad Christians) turn you away from Jesus.
  • You are the problem. You have a bitter root. 
Now, I'm not writing this post as an antithesis of what she wrote or to convince anyone to do otherwise. I'm going to write to process how I felt reading her post, how I have felt myself after leaving my church of 20+ years, and the ongoing struggle in my mind to where to go from there. 

My friend said when she was trying to be convinced not to leave, no one wanted to hear her story. They just wanted to fix her. This is often too real on pretty much every aspect of human life. I was listening to a podcast on "mom shaming" that is so pervasive in society. One of the things that caught my attention was that the speaker who was advocating for mom-shaming to stop was the first to admit she had mom-shamed other moms herself. I've written a post on that before here where I was sleepless because I felt so bad of having mom-shamed someone and here were I rant on people´s comments of my girls. I was one of the ones who told my friend "You have a bitter root."

I feel ashamed of that. One, I said it in a Facebook comment. Wow! We are too loose with our tongue on the internet. Two, while I did know part of her story, I didn't take the time to follow up or know how she was feeling when I said that to her. She got upset with me for saying that to which my defense was that "I knew how she was feeling because I was battling my own bitter root from getting cancer." I thought cancer had made me more empathetic, but I have ways to go.    

Christians are too loose with their "fixes." I almost went into a rant today when I read in a mom group a mom saying she had been sexually assaulted when she was little, and she needed a good recommendation for a psychiatrist to help her deal with the trauma so she wouldn't let it affect her family now that she is a mom and wife. Almost 80% of the comments were in the line of "All you need is Jesus. Just seek Jesus! Jesus can help you heal your heart and forgive." I couldn't help myself and I did reply to some of them. The ones I found, like my friend puts it, toxic. 

So, to suck the poison and toxicity that exists in the Christian world, I need to start with myself. My brother says I've become too much of a social warrior. I will go on a rant on "#meToo" (especially being a survivor of sexual abuse and sexual harassment) to whoever belittles it; I will rant on immigration and how it is "illegal" to try to find a better life for yourself because of man-made borders; I will rant on Donald Trump and whoever wants to pass him on as Christian. This year one of my resolutions was to not be a social warrior anymore because I tend to bulldoze over those on the other side of the debate, which is not very Christian of me. I intentionally try my best not to rant. 

Lately, I try to be an advocate for grief protection. You see, especially in the Christian community, grief is not allowed. If you are grieving, it´s a lack of faith or lack of prayer or lack of fasting or lack of time in the Word. Depression is not permissible or justifiable. It is a lie; it is the Devil; it is your own weakness and temptation. I had to go through my own deep grief to realize this was a form of violence. You don't negate other people´s feelings. You don´t ask them to put them in perspective. You don´t tell them how to fix it or how they´re going through it because they´re not good enough. This is psychological VIOLENCE. This is psychological violence I suffered during my cancer journey and that I had and probably still have enacted on others too. If Christianity is not willing to understand its flaws and change, we can't keep telling people "it's a few bad apples." 

This is why I left my church of most of my life. I have fond memories of my church. I made great friends there that I still hold dearly and closely. I met my husband there. I spent my youth in missions and worship bands and plays and so many good things. But I reached my boiling point after years and years of psychological violence and neglect. I would need way too many words to express correctly what was wrong with my church. I mean, at one point, my youth leader who was 15 years my senior and had been my youth pastor since I was 12 asked me to marry him two weeks after I turned 18! It took me many years to realize I had been groomed to accept that proposal. And thank God I didn't! 
It took many years to reach that boiling point. I was so close-minded in everything. I was even taught other churches were wrong, and I could only collaborate and work within my church. I was placed in discipline from serving in church for dating my husband even though when I started dating him I was 21 and I had finished college. Mind you, he was my first kiss! I made myself miserable to the point of being too ashamed to have my alone time with God because I had romantic feelings towards him. Toxicity at its highest; toxicity I was taught and fed.  

The post went on to say that it wasn't only the bad apples in church that were turning her away, but now she also had an issue with God. She didn't like the God of the Bible who slayed the Egyptians´ firstborn or the many times He command Israel to wipe out a nation. I wrote something along those lines here where I write why I still believe in God after getting cancer. In a nutshell, you knew who God was from the beginning of your faith. If it was easy for you to believe in Him when things were good in your life but find it easy to turn from Him when things are not going as you expected them, your faith was not in God but in what He could offer you. I want to understand the pain my friend says she endured. I certainly endured and still endure a share of pain and loss that not many people know from such a young age. You can read about it here and here. I'm not comparing pain. Everyone´s pain is their own and it's theirs to make as big or small as they experienced it. I do not believe anymore in "putting things in perspective" when trying to comfort someone. 

Back to my almost rant for the comments of the mom seeking psychiatric help. Jesus is the way. I know it firsthand because I know Who held me in my deepest despair. I know it because I almost left my faith when Kinsley died and had to walk a desert to find Him again. He kept calling. He kept holding me. But I was treated with psychiatric help, and I'm still in need of psychiatric help to deal with my PTSD. 
Jesus is the way, but He alone is not enough. This is why He established His church on earth. He prayed our unity would bring people to Him. He prayed we'd be one with Him. I found a good church here in Panama. A church who hasn't shown a single shred of psychological violence towards me after almost three years there. A church who has held me and brought me closer to my beloved Jesus. It's sad because so many of the friends I grew up with excited to love Jesus and live for Him ended up reaching their boiling point too, and many never found a safe place to worship and grow and hold each other up in Christ. Some have bounced from church to church seeking that place and coming out so belittled they no longer see the point of it. Some have found a deeper relationship with God in a good church they ended up establishing when reaching their boiling point together. Some renounced their faith and after more than a decade of doing so, their lives are none the better; if anything, they just seem lost. It's sad because I loved my church so dearly. Leaving it was gut-wrenching. And once you leave a church like that you are almost completely shunned by those who stay in it, pretty much losing all your extended family. I found a new one that I love very dearly. I'm glad it's out there. 

Picture of my youth group after a church service.

100% of us have left the church or moved to a different church after pretty much living all our teenage years in and out of church serving fervently. 

  

Jesus is the way, but He also ate food and drank water and slept. We can't be hippies about our faith. I mean this with no disrespect, but your "Jesus is enough" is not enough. 

James 2
15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

I struggle to see Jesus some days. Will I end up giving up after so much pain? I pray not. I see the lives of those who truly follow Jesus and those who follow the world, and I'm in good company with my fellow Jesus-lovers. They are the best thing in my life. That includes my mom and dad, my in-laws, my husband, my closest friends, my mentors and pastors. I pray to stay close to them and follow their example. It's not as easy as many would say it is. If it is for you, I'm happy you don't endure much struggle. But if you found Jesus, I'm happy you have the lover of your soul present in your life during the hardships that come with this life on this broken world. 

This is not an easy subject. It is not something that you have just one answer to offer. The need for change in Christianity and many churches is too real and palpable to brush it as bad apples. The need for listening and opening up your mind to needs and grief and pain and true help is urgent. You don't have to agree with me. I don't even fathom to have the full understanding of anything myself. I do open my mind to be better and do better because change must start with me.   

3 comments:

  1. Me encanto, solo que yo creo que todos somos malas manzanas y buenas manzanas en varios momentos de nuestras vidas, todos somos estudiantes y maestros. Lo que me alegra es que ya sea en mis buenos o malos momentos o etapas Jesús siempre estuvo conmigo y me siento libre de expresar lo bonito, lo malo y lo feo. Yo también estuve en disciplina pero también logré entender que uno tiene que buscar ayuda no es suficiente solo orar, uno también tiene que actuar. No es fácil, no siempre se logra ser constante pero....¿Quienes somos para juzgar la vida de otros sino estamos en sus zapatos? Si Dios puede usar hasta el mismo diablo para bendecirte. No sabemos quién realmente está o no perdido.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this at 1:40 am while listening to Hillsong worship and after having worked 18 hours on a ministry website https://www.giveonpurpose.org (free plug there :) ) Linda you have shared brutally honest truth that so many need to read, hear, consider, pray about. I'm so glad that you'll found a great church family in Panama, but I am also moved by what you shared - as it is reality in many churches and among many Christians. I am teaching verse by verse, book by book Bible studies in Spanish for tv, social media, YouTube Channel, etc. I have done so far the book of James, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John and today was class #6 of the book of Jude. After that we will do Revelations and then if Jesus isn't back yet I plan to pick up in Matthew and go forward to Hebrews so that we have the entire New Testament, verse by verse, book by book, in Spanish, in 15 minute segments on video teaching. I share all that to say that the book of Jude speaks very clearly of many of the things you have lived through and experienced. I would encourage you to check it out and/or also the teaching series. You can find it on YouTube at our channel at CrownLife Ministry / Generacion Cristiana. Much respect for you ability to express yourself concisely, clearly, and truthfully. I stand amazed. Much love to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This are true words!
    It’s really sad to realize that many times, as Christians, we try to do quick “fixes” on others, and even promote psychological violence with what we do and say (by saying that grief is “not permitted”, that depression is not something a Christian should “experience”, etc.). Having said that, I think we should join with what pastor Tim Keller mentions about things like this: we are in a way part of the problem, but we have to realize too that we could be at the heart of the solution. What that means is that, even though we many times fail as *Christians*, we have to realize that *Christianity* (the Gospel and God’s word), *never* promotes psychological violence and quick “fixes”. Instead, it shows the most inner part of the human condition and how God responds and hears with grace and patience the griefs of grieving people, ultimately showing this by the protagonist of all of this: Jesus Christ. Even historically, it’s pretty common among scholars (even secular ones) to note that Christianity pioneered a way of grieving that doesn’t destroy you. There’s some much to be said about this (sorry for the long comment), so I would just leave some links to some talks and expositions about this:

    About depression and how the Bible and the Gospel deals with it:
    https://youtu.be/1tFIxxopSew

    About grieving people in the Bible and God’s way of responding and hearing when we go through dark times (even when we we feel nothing):

    1) https://youtu.be/ulmaUtbayGY

    2) https://youtu.be/DxOWWWVDGD0

    About how Christianity is unique among other worldviews with regards to suffering and going through it:
    3) https://youtu.be/OuRvyMNJsAQ

    Hope this also helps!
    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete