Pages

7/26/2012

Goodbye Fumoffu

Waking up to the aftermath of the events that took place yesterday wasn't as hard as I thought it be. I was eager to be at work with my mind occupied than in bed with my despondent heart and my incessant mind replaying everything.
Yesterday I lost my darling dog Fumoffu to a tragic accident.
She had been the family's dog for a little more than 6 years. She even went with us on our adventure of moving to Mexico.


That is she and I going to the airport. 

When we got to Mexico, we were unaware that the climate would have an effect on her (Mexico City is much colder than Tegucigalpa). We had to buy her sweaters so she could have time to acclimate.


That's she with her sweater and on my bed. As you can see, she was very spoiled

She is often seen in my brother's poi and juggling videos running around happily on the yard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xDWeKK_Lyk&feature=plcp


Here is a pic of her visiting Mexico's downtown Socalo

The whole Maradiaga Family!

She moved back to Honduras on March because my brother in Mexico had to move to an apartment where no dogs were allowed. 
The hubs and I were happy to receive her, but she was a handful.
Having lived inside the house, on my or my brother's bed, and pretty much doing whatever she pleased, It was hard for her to adjust to my husband's more dog-like life for her: outside the house with the other two dogs and, by no reason, on the sofas or beds. 
It took almost two months for her to stop howling all night begging to be allowed inside. However, she really liked the open space my house's yard provides. That yard is dog heaven and Fumoffu enjoyed every inch of it, especially during the rain (She didn't help her chances of getting inside!).
We couldn't understand why the other two dogs where dry and clean and under the garage roof during the rain, but Fumoffu was covered deep in mud and drenched. She loved it! And she showed us her happiness by jumping on us and our clothes in that state. 
She had a hard time having other dogs around. She had been a single dog-daughter in my family. Here she shared love, food, space, and attention with Terry and Lanky. It was funny to see how she was the oldest and smallest, yet she dominated the other two. At first she was kind of a loner, but then you could catch her playing with the other two dogs. I even caught them sharing her bed (only she had a bed my mom sent from Mexico) and even giving each other kisses. 
She was just re-learning obedience (the obedience she had was lost when I left Mexico), but she was being very stubborn. One of the things we tried hard to teach her is not to run infront or behind the car when we were entering or leaving the house. This she never learned. My husband and I were very watchful to see where she was when we would move the car. My husband was watchful and careful of this yesterday, but, in a glimpse, she ran accross and got run over. 
He immediately ran to see if she was ok and got bitten pretty bad on the hand. He tried to pick her up again to take her to the vet but she would growl and bear her teeth, and my husband had only a good hand left to grab her. He came to pick me up at work so we could take her and him to the doc, but when we got home it was too late. 
I'm grateful my sister was around to drive us to the ER to have my husband's hand checked and help me calm down. 
My wonderful in-laws all came to help me burry her and console me. 
I'm grateful my brother in Mexico (who loved her dearest) was with his girlfriend when he got my call and she was able to console him. 
I'm grateful my mom had our dear friend Abelardo with her in Panama there to console her too.

She meant a lot for all of us and we thought we had many years ahead with her by our side. 
Here is a little video of her most quirky trait known to everyone as: SARITA! 

  


Death has left me pondering much on how to cope with it and make sense of the mess of you it leaves.
If you know someone is going to die (old age or health related), you are left with the pain of the departed loved one, but a sense that all that could have been done was done.
If the death is sudden and out of the blue, you are left with more than the loss of the departed, but with a sense of uselessnes, a bunch of "what ifs" and "could I had done..?", a sense you and the departed where robbed: robbed of time, love, and moments.
It has left me two painful revelations:
1. It's astonishing to realize just how frail life is. 
2. As painful as losing a loved one is, life goes on. 

Ecclesiastes 7:2
It is better to go to a house of mourning
than to go to a house of feasting,
for death is the destiny of everyone;
the living should take this to heart.

When facing death, I feel as though time should stop, life should pause. Life and time were stopped for someone else, it should stop for you as well. But it doesn't. You wake up next morning and continue your life. Death is not powerful enough to stop life for the forlorn loved ones, and for those who believe and have a hope in Christ, not even for the deceased.

1 Corinthians 15:55
“Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?”

I don't why this happened. I hope God is not preparing me for death coping. I just ponder and wonder, I grieve and somber, and pray life can go on with joy in Fumoffu's memory more than anything.
  
Job 1 : 21
and [Job] said:
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised.”
And, as I believe nothing is impossible for God, maybe one day I'll see my Fumoffu again! Thank You, Lord, for the gift, joy, laughter, and love she was. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, thanks a lot for sharing sis. I can't stop crying, but our beloved and darling Fumoffu brought us happiness to the very end. Even in death she managed to bring our family closer and that means the world to me. She meant the world for me. But I'm grateful for the 6 years God granted us with her. I know you loved her dearly, maybe as much as I did, so try to be strong for your baby, ok?! I love you, and your hubby as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love you more, babe! thank you for your words and strengths.

      Delete