Pages

11/17/2015

Mommy, the word

"Mommy" She says as I pretend to be asleep and pray she will turn around and go back to her bed.
"Mommy." She starts off as a soft whisper for a few tries.
"Mommy..." Still softly but not buying that one didn't wake me up.
"Mommy!" And if I let her go any higher she will wake up her sister. 

And so, mommy reluctantly lets her crawl into my bed where I will hold her and fall asleep with her waking up with a bad backache. 

This happens now and then; but yesterday, for the first time, I pondered on what it meant that she called me that. 
First, I reveled on the true wonder it is to hear that word and have it refer to me. I am her mommy! 
Second, it made me realize the responsibility behind the word. 

Think about what your mommy means to you.
Mom is the one who is always there for you.
Mom is the one that keeps you healthy.
Mom is the one that keeps you safe.
Mom is the one that listens and understands.

What does this all mean that I am now Mommy?
Being there for her means that I come second. What I want to do, what I want to watch, where I want to go, what I want to listen, how I want to spend my time... All comes second. But it is so much more than that. Sometimes that involves that I feel lonely or left out. Conversations with adults are always cut short. Date nights are rare. Sitting in church to listen to the sermon in peace has not yet happened. It is a little annoying when people vex you about not seeing you that often, not attending all meetings, not having time to go out. You wish they'd understood you would really like to go, but you are needed and you must be there. It is even harder for working mothers. I watch my coworker suffer because her work doesn't allow her to be there for her daughter's science fair presentation. Every morning when my daughter questions me repeatedly as to where am I going. It is hard for her to understand what must take me away from her. My heart breaks every morning.

Keeping her healthy means that every decision Mom takes is carefully thought. Mom makes sure she has a good and balanced diet. She makes sure she eats home cooked meals and is eating enough. Mom stays up all night to take care of her when she is sick. Mom takes her to the doctor and cries with her when she is feeling discomfort and gives her courage when she is feeling scared (if Mommy is not also crying). Sometimes it means Mommy also gets sick either from exhaustion, stress, or contagion. It means that Mommy and Daddy put off going themselves to the doctor because they can no longer afford it.

Keeping her safe means that Mommy makes an environment in which she can grow well. It means Mommy keeps the places where she plays clean and tidy. It means the things at her reach are not harmful or dirty. It means she watches over her while she plays and ,for me, even while she sleeps. It means she has a good place to sleep, even if that is my arms. It means that discussions with Daddy are either civil (which they always should but not always accomplished) or postpone. It means Mommy and Daddy protect their marriage and keep it strong, because that is the best thing they can do for her safety. It means Mommy prays for her life everyday and teaches her about the wonderful Saviour. It means the house is free of yelling, fighting, and bad attitudes from the grown ups (to the best of what their Lord has taught and equipped them). It means she watches firsthand Mom and Dad seek the Lord daily. It means that what she hears and watches on any entertainment device is carefully scrutinized. It means that Mom is vigilant and constant in discipline and teaching her obedience and manners.

To listen and understand means Mom keeps her cool even when she is talking through screams and tantrums. It means she feels she can come to me with any situation. It means a hug from Mom or a kiss in her bubu from Mommy can calm anything. It means that I try to put myself in her shoes and try to understand why what she is making such a big fuzz about is actually a big deal for her. It means Mommy is her example on how to handle situations and hopefully that example is a good one she can follow because she will even if it is not a good one.

This is what my Mom is for me. I hope I can be for her what my Mom is for me. This breaks my heart because I realize not everyone has a Mom like mine and not everyone desires to be that type of Mom. It breaks my heart because Mothers decide to terminate their children's life in their wombs. I don't even know if they can be called Mothers, but to that murder child they were.  It breaks my heart because Mothers resent what their children take from them and decide to leave, neglect, not be there, and hurt them. It breaks my heart because there are little children growing up without knowing love, safety, or understanding. It breaks my heart that there are Mothers who can't help their kids be healthy because they can't afford it and some must watch them die helplessly. It breaks my heart because there are Mothers being taken away from their very loved children through violence, war, and domestic violence. It breaks my heart that many kids today saw their mothers murdered in the war zones of the Middle East. It breaks my heart that here at home there are Mothers seeing their children be consumed by drugs, gangs, and poverty. It breaks my heart that not all kids feel they can call out Mommy in the middle of the night because they had a nightmare. It breaks my heart that Mothers are losing their children while running aways as refugees. Mothers and children are drowning, being sold for slavery, and are being separated.

Mothers suffering, there is hope:
Act 3
18 But this is how God fulfilled what he had foretold through all the prophets, saying that his Messiah would suffer. 19 Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord, 20 and that he may send the Messiah, who has been appointed for you—even Jesus. 21 Heaven must receive him until the time comes for God to restore everything, as he promised long ago through his holy prophets.


If your heart is discouraged, remember how lucky you are to be Mommy and be that kind of Mommy. Remember the Mommies in real hardship and pray for them.
Dear Lord, come quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment