Pages

1/27/2012

Learning the good way

I don't even know where to go with this post.
Certainly not the kind of post I had in mind writing, nevertheless, is what the Lord is showing me today.
I found it funny that I saw many people posting verses from the book of Jeremiah. As you know, I've been studying it closely and trying to post on each chapter I read. Curiously enough, I haven't seen this ones being shared.

Jeremiah 6

 16 This is what the LORD says:
   “Stand at the crossroads and look;
   ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
   and you will find rest for your souls.
   But you said, ‘We will not walk in it.’ 


"We will not!" As always, my sinful nature runs to point others in this description, until my Spirit had to land my mind that that is me. Do you ask for the ancient paths and where the good way is? And when showed, do you walk it?
Lately, my soul has not found much rest, so I'm guessing that would be a no. Again, my sinful nature justifies that this unrestfulness comes from a heavy-burden job, the large list of family problems you've been enduring, and, never missing out, your health. I had a slightly rough morning last thursday yet I ended up crying my eyes out on the bathroom and it was only 8 am! I thought it was a "hormonal" thing. The next day I found myself crying again and feeling thoroughly unhappy in my job. It then hit me! It was not hormonal or emotional; it was spiritual. I had missed two grattitude mondays and with this past monday, I'm up to three!


Jeremiah 7
9 “‘Will you steal and murder, commit adultery and perjury, burn incense to Baal and follow other gods you have not known, 10 and then come and stand before me in this house, which bears my Name, and say, “We are safe”—safe to do all these detestable things? 11 Has this house, which bears my Name, become a den of robbers to you? But I have been watching! declares the LORD. 


Jeremiah 8

6 I have listened attentively,
but they do not say what is right.
None of them repent of their wickedness,
saying, “What have I done?”
Each pursues their own course
like a horse charging into battle. 

Jeremiah 9
3 “They make ready their tongue
like a bow, to shoot lies;
it is not by truth
that they triumph in the land.
They go from one sin to another;
they do not acknowledge me,”
declares the LORD.


Again, I feel God's hurt for the rebellion of His people. Now I'm gonna write about really "touchy" subjects for mainly Christians, yet I share my honest, open heart here. I was talking with an atheist co-worker having the typical Evolution/Creation and does God exists or not debate. It was the first time I had a talk with an atheist that wanted to make me deny God by what's in the Bible about Him. "Is that the god you follow? A god that sends his angel to murder Egypt's newborns, a god that sends his people to leave no one from X tribe alive, including the women and children?" I've seen similar posts on 9 gag where they dare mock God. See, Christians have popularized the romantic idea that God does things for the good of human beings. God does EVERYTHING for the glory of His name! He answers to none of us and none of us have authority to question Him, only the right to obey Him. My atheist friend was a bit shocked by my answers. He is used to the Christians trying to explain this parts of the Bible in a manner that still fits their belief God is at work for the good of mankind. I explained to him that there is a difference between being a murderer and being the Creator and owner of everything. Everything is His to do what He wills. We forget that and forget what true fear of the Lord is. And this people of Judah in these chapters of Jeremiah seriously did.

Jeremiah 9 

9 Should I not punish them for this?”
declares the LORD.
“Should I not avenge myself
on such a nation as this?” 
11 “I will make Jerusalem a heap of ruins,
a haunt of jackals;
and I will lay waste the towns of Judah
so no one can live there.”


Oh, THESE are the verses atheist love to quote: the wrath of God while christians quote the "He is always with me" verses. Where are those reading attentively to God saying:


Jeremiah 7
2“‘Hear the word of the LORD, all you people of Judah who come through these gates to worship the LORD. 3 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Reform your ways and your actions, and I will let you live in this place.
5 If you really change your ways and your actions and deal with each other justly, 6 if you do not oppress the foreigner, the fatherless or the widow and do not shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not follow other gods to your own harm, 7then I will let you live in this place, in the land I gave your ancestors for ever and ever. 
13While you were doing all these things, declares the LORD, I spoke to you again and again, but you did not listen; I called you, but you did not answer. 
19 But am I the one they are provoking? declares the LORD. Are they not rather harming themselves, to their own shame? 
28 Therefore say to them, ‘This is the nation that has not obeyed the LORD its God or responded to correction. Truth has perished; it has vanished from their lips. 


God's mercy is new each morning. I guess if I where to be meditating on that rather than pondering on how much I hate my job, I would still find rest for my soul. It is by pure grace we were given Jesus and by pure mercy we are not smitten to destruction. I was telling my sister: "Even if a person woke up in the worst case scenario possible, but he were a believer, he would still wake up being capable of being immensely grateful in his life because of Christ's blood and saving love" and that is hard truth we MUST live by.

Still, I am a romantic and God's Word is also equipped to comfort and fill us with promises, so I also share the popular verses in Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 9 

23 This is what the LORD says:
“Let not the wise boast of their wisdom
or the strong boast of their strength
or the rich boast of their riches,
24 but let the one who boasts boast about this:
that they have the understanding to know me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight,”
declares the LORD.


Let me grow to your liking and delight, Father, and may my soul find rest being grateful for your unworthy love.

Love you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment