Pages

5/18/2011

Learning my place in a chain of command

Titus 3

1 "Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, 2 to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone."

3 "We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another."

Ok, Father, this is a tough one. This is one I have obeyed in the past because of loving leaders constantly reminding me of doing everything for You. And it is one of which I have most excuses for. Authority! Underserving, blood-sucking, unjust, disrespectful, and unwise authority! The list could go on and I see my mind already started with the excuses (Be transformed, my mind, and don't go those places!). 

Obeying authority is difficult for everyone in different levels. And we sinful humans have an even harder time obeying certain individuals in authority. I think there is where I have failed to see if my loving leaders were not there constantly reminding me of: we obey authority as for the Lord, not for the person in authority. 

“To be subject to rulers and authorities”… “To slander no one” … yikes! Even a harder one! We can “obey” authority (and I say “obey” because it is not always immediate and with good attitudes as my loving Miss Toti showed us in school real obedience is) in that we do what we are told to because we have to; otherwise we get fired, get punished, thrown in jail, etc. So, we could claim we obey; but not slander anyone, especially those in authority? I can’t. I want to.  
I was very joyful, though, when at lunch with my classmates someone was going to speak ill of someone and I turned away. I was very, very curious of course, but I was joyful to see how Your Word is already beginning to change me! I want to not speak ill of anyone or slander my authorities, especially the church authorities. Instead, I want to pray for them and give them honor as if for the Lord.

Dear Father,
You don’t ask for anything impossible to do. You do give grace to the humble. I want Your grace and Your favor. What more humbling than subjecting to these worldly authorities? Help me see every time, and help me remember, that I do it as for You and not for the person in authority. Again, transform my tongue more and more each day and let it bring You glory. Teach it not to slander and be prepared for good. I love You, Father, and I delight in Your ways.

I forever love You!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment